Thursday, November 4, 2010

equations etc.

Well, in Engineering 207 we were learning about polynomial regression, and how to find the coefficients. that's where you have a bunch of points that basically form a parabola or something.

So Chris Jones (excellent math teacher, I strongly recommend him if you're going to HCC and need math) taught us the really long complicated way. Then he said, "and of course you can use MATLAB to do this for you, it'll be a lot shorter...."

This was at about 3pm.

Back up to 10am: we were taught how to get that line in Excel with 1/10 of the trouble from MATLAB and about 1/1000 of the trouble involved in doing it by hand!!!

I mentioned that to Chris... he laughed and said, oh yeah... now i can make you guys really hate me by showing you this... =) (btw that's just how he talks, idk why.)


I also learned that I can store multi-variable functions on my TI89 calculator. THAT FREAKIN ROCKS!!! :) sorry about that, it was really exciting though.

4 comments:

Christine said...

i love how excited you are. :)
i could never get that stoked about math. =P

Katie said...

TI89?! MULTI-VARIABLE FUNCTIONS?!

gag me.

No, for serious. Then my tombstone will be able to say with complete honesty that I was killed by math.

Colin said...

yeah, but then where would we be? in a Kathryne-Elizabeth-Bascom-less world... that'd be no fun.

but it seriously is useful in calc3

Anonymous said...

TEACHMEHOWTEACHMEHOWTEACHMEHOW!