Monday, November 29, 2010

doofus

I am a doofus.

I have been running around, crying about how I don't feel loved by God, nor do I feel like I love Him. As if, when someone else loves you, you suddenly get warm fuzzy feelings inside; and when you love someone, you always have those same warm fuzzy feelings toward them. Reality check here! this isn't the case.

We know He loves us, in that while we were yet sinners, He sent His son Jesus to die on a cross for us, and to bear our sin so that we could be imputed His righteousness. So that we could have a full part in heaven with Him, instead of being shut out in the cold, alone with ourselves in hell.

And I've been running around, lamenting my lack of faith. But, it seems, "if you have faith to move mountains, but have not love, you are nothing."

Now how does that mean, "have love"? in what manner is it using "Have?" is it like, I am loved by God so I have God's love? or is it, I love God, therefore I have love?

I have no idea. Thoughts?

3 comments:

Katie said...

You are a doofus. The most doofish doofus ever, but we still love you.

1 John 5:1-3...
Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him.
By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments.
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.


a) Read 1 John, especially ch 4-5. One verse at a time. S.l.o.w.l.y. And think. It's very logical. Like, semi-repetitive-syllogistic form. I'm at 5:4 and it's a wonderful study.
b) Verse 2 says we KNOW we love when we obey God's commandments. As in, even after 14 verses about pretty much the same thing, John still had to lay it out plainly, because love is one thing EVERYBODY gets confused about. Everybody. God knew that to fulfill the first and greatest commandment we would need clear guidelines... so He gave them.
c) I don't know the answer to your question, outrightly. But I'm guessing it's not so simple as the first, because the 1 Cor passage says "if," and being a recipient of God's love is not an "if" sort of thing.

Anonymous said...

Thou art a mortal doofus. This meaneth thou shalt die from thy doofosity.

doofus.

Colin said...

Only a goddess is allowed to write such un-grammatically-correct words and not be given a tonguelashing. too bad though... I really wish I could.